Pages of Interest

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fairness Activity Debrief

Last Thursday we did a fairness activity. We all colored a kenpo samurai with more or less resources. We were grouped by age and given resources based on what group we were in, 10 year olds, 11 year olds, 12 year olds, 13 year olds, and 14 year olds.

Students debriefed the activity. They had big group and small group discussions. Students then wrote individual reflections. The questions students were asked to reflect or answer these questions: What does prejudice mean? What group were you in? How did it feel? Have you ever had less resources than others? (explain?) Have you ever had more resources than others? (explain?) Why did Nina make us take part in this painful ridiculous arguably dangerous activity?

Some responses were:
How would you describe fairness?
"Treating others equally : )"(F) "Equal access to resources"(S) "Equal access to the same things" (S)

How did it feel to have more or less? "Like I was gum on the bottom of the 12 year olds baby seal lofers, waiting to be scraped off and chewed." (B) It feels bad when you see some one with less things or more things than you but you could ask or borrow from a a friend (D)It felt very unfair but at the same time I felt like it was okay because I had better resources than others"

Have you ever had less resources than others? (explain?) (S) "Of course I have, but I am lucky for the resources that I do have" "Not until yesterday" (C) "Well, I don't have the best house and we don't have resources that most have AND IT SUCKS to be treated different because of that people pelt my house with eggs because they think its haunted" (B)


Why did Nina make us take part in this painful ridiculous arguably dangerous activity?
"Becuase to learn that its not OK and to show example of unfairness in sisiaty" "I think to teach us about unfairness and because she is crazy" (C) "To example fairness in society (P)" "Because she loves us (C)" "To whirl us into a depresion"

No comments:

Post a Comment